WAGNER'S RING CYCLE IN BAYREUTH
The Bayreuth Festival in recent decades has not been without controversy, both in terms of its internal management and directorial interpretation of Wagner’s operas. The Ring Cycle by German director Frank Castorf, first staged in 2013 is an extension of this tradition and entering its final season.
Ticket availability is notoriously diffcult except for those with long-standing subscriptions and, due to this, we have formed a partnership with an associate who has access to “secondary market” seats in combination with the scarce hotel accommodation in Bayreuth. We are in the seventh year of the partnership and it has proven to be a successful way to create the opportunity to attend this iconic Festival. The arrangement is more expensive than our other comparable Ring Cycle programs, however, it does come with exceptionally good seating and very comfortable and convenient hotels..
*If coming directly from North America, an early day arrival should be considered to mitigate the effects of the air journey.
We are offering the final week (third) Cycle. Core tour dates are arrival in Bayreuth by Tuesday, August 23 and departure on August 29 with options for anyone who wishes to arrive as early as August 19 to see Tristan und Isolde (Aug 20) or Parsifal (Aug 21) prior to the start of the tour dates.
The performance dates are:
- Sunday August 20 Optional 4:00pm Tristan und Isolde
- Monday August 21 Optional 4:00pm Parsifal
- Tuesday August 22 Opt'l early arrival No Performance
The Core Tour starts on August 23rd
- Wednesday August 23 6:00pm Das Rheingold
- Thursday August 24 4:00pm Die Walküre
- Friday August 25 Optional 4:00pm Parsifal
- Saturday August 26 4:00pm Siegfried
- Sunday August 27 Optional 4:00pm Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
- Monday August 28 4:00pm Götterdämmerung
- Tuesday August 29 Departures
Program listing the 2017 casts and directors are listed on: https://www.bayreuther-festspiele.de/english/programme_157.html
Accommodation is at the Hotel Arvena Kongress (www. arvena-kongress.de), with air-conditioned comfortable spacious rooms and providing all the amenities and dining expected in a full service hotel. This is a favorite choice for the many Wagner aficionados with breakfast and lunch included. Extra hotel nights are $275 per room.
There is an opportunity to upgrade to the Hotel Goldener Anker (www.anker-bayreuth.de), located in the center of the historic district and featuring 250 year old traditional architecture with timeless elegantly styled bedrooms and suites. The intimate excellent restaurant dates from 1927 and the 13th generation of family owners guarantee a special stay.
Private taxi transfers from/to the hotels will be included for our party on Ring performance days.
- Welcome gala dinner
- Farewell dinner and a group lunch
- Morning guided walking sightseeing tour
- Visit to Wahnfried and the new museum
- A series of morning lectures
For the core 6-night Ring Cycle program, rate per person at the Hotel Arvena Kongress:
- $8,250 with shared double room occupancy.
- $8,900 is for single occupancy
Contact Act 1 Tours for further details and rates.
- Hotel Goldener Anker
- Guaranteed premium center seating locations within the Festspielhaus
- Additional Operas:
- New production of Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg
- Tristan und Isolde (requires additional hotel nights)
- Transfers to Bayreuth on arrival and departure. Act 1 can assist in facilitating transportation.
- Meals and personal expenses outside the group itinerary
Due to our contractual arrangement, the complete program is non-refundable at the time the initial deposit of $4,850 is made. We strongly advise purchasing trip cancellation coverage at the time of first deposit. The full balance is due by March 15, 2017.
Nuremberg (NUE) is the closest major airport to Bayreuth and we can assist to facilitate ground transfer arrangements at the appropriate time.